Pursuant to CaliforniaPenal Code 273d: Beating or inflicting cruel or corporal punishment on a child. Corporal punishment includes any kind of punishment inflicted on the body. In order for the prosecution to find you guilty of child abuse, the following elements must be proved:
- Defendant willfully inflicted cruel or inhuman physical punishment and/or injury on a child;
- The punishment/injury inflicted by the defendant caused a traumatic physical condition to the child; and
- When defendant acted, s/he was not reasonably disciplining the child.
A “child” is as considered any person(s) under the age of 18.
What is Child Abuse in California?
Child abuse is the act or acts that physically, sexually or emotionally injure a child. Depending on the circumstances surrounding the child abuse allegations, a number of California criminal laws may apply, such as, Penal Code 273d Inflicting physical punishment on a child commonly referred to as child abuse.
What are the Punishments for Penal Code 273d PC?
Child abuse is the act or acts that If you are found guilty of violating Penal Code 273(d) Inflicting Physical Punishment on a Child the punishment for said crime include:
- Up to six (6) years in prison.
- If defendant has a prior child abuse conviction, an additional four (4) years will be added on top of the prison sentence, unless 10 years have passed since the defendant served prison time on the prior offense and defendant has not served any time in jail for any other felony offense in those 10 years.
- If the Court grants probation, the Court may impose additional conditions such as substantial court fines, protective orders, counseling, or drug testing.
A Los Angeles Child Abuse Attorney Can Help
It is important that you seek legal representation from an experienced Los Angeles child abuse attorney with a solid track record in the defense of those accused of child abuse, child sexual abuse, and other crimes that involve children. Contacting a qualified Los Angeles criminal defense lawyer like R.J. Manuelian will speed your case along and provide you with the experienced representation you want to go into court with.